Sunday, January 29, 2006

 

Fatal Attraction

Seeing how my television viewing is limited to the occasional Saturday night rerun of movies like Lawrence of Arabia or The Magnificent Seven, I find myself recalling now and then Neil Postman's cogently-titled book Amusing Ourselves to Death. This morning, unavoidably seated at the breakfast counter, I incurred the dubious entertainment of choice by my significant other, bouncing back and forth between a Jack Russell Terrier steeplechase competition, and a program that featured a young couple painting their bathroom.

Jack Russell's are undoubtedly cute little creatures, and the joy of home ownership where one can indulge in such activities as choosing paint is something I'm sure many of my fellow renters in the world envy, but the fact these programs are sufficiently popular to attract corporate sponsors must say something about our culture. I'm just not sure what.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?